Saturday, April 12, 2008

Bonny Scotland

2008, 4.10-12 Edinburgh, Scotland

The flight from Oslo Torp airport to Glasgow Prestwick, Scotland went smoothly. I tried calling my friend Kellie MacAlonan who lives in Glasgow to see if she wanted to meet up, but it didn't work out with our schedules. I took a train from the airport to downtown Glasgow and then on to Edinburgh, which was very easy. The Scottish countryside is very pretty, from what I saw, which, really, wasn't much. I can't imagine what the rest of the country is like, though I've heard wonderful things.

I made it to Edinburgh pretty late in the evening. It was dark, but there were still quite a few people out and about, so that was good, as I wasn't exactly sure where I was going in order to find my hostel and there were some areas that seemed kind of shady. I stayed at the Edinburgh Backpacker's Hostel. I shared my hostel room with five other people-4 American girls and a guy.

I went on a free tour led by an employee from the hostel to explore Edinburgh. On the tour, I learned about Greyfriar's Bobby.

Bobby's Bar dedicated to Greyfriar's Bobby

Burial site of the famous Greyfriar's Bobby, Bobby the dog who almost never left his owner's side, even when Greyfriar passed away

One of the most haunted places in the world

A window along The Royal Mile

Edinburgh Castle


The Princes Mall and the Train Station in Central Edinburgh

War Memorial


St. Giles Cathedral and the Royal Mile

Advocate's Close, one of the many historical passageways in Edinburgh


Stained glass window in St. Giles Cathedral

Edinburgh is a city in which it feels as though the history is still being made as you walk down the street. The history and the present culture are still very much alive in the every day life of the city. It is an incredible feeling. Despite the weather--spotty rain showers throughout the day intermingled with spots of sunshine--it is a very charming city with a lot to offer. I didn't have nearly enough time there--about two days, but I did get the chance within that time to see a lot of the city, make some new acquaintences, and even try the Haggis, which was surprisingly tasty.

It was a lovely place to end my post-London, month long travels. If only I'd have made it to Bonny Scotland earlier in my Journey Abroad, I'd have realized I should have made Scotland a top travel priority. Another day...

No comments: